Looking for instructions on euthanizing animals yourself?
Research Animal Resources (RAR) can perform euthanasia on laboratory animals during standard RAR weekday hours.
Below you’ll find associated charges and the process for scheduling euthanasia for each species.
Please contact your area RAR veterinary technician for specific pricing information.
If euthanasia for any species requires coordination with research personnel for tissue collection or other purposes, time will be charged.
Rodents include mice, rats, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters, and chinchillas.
- Euthanasia on RAR's schedule: No charge. (This includes euthanasia of healthy animals using the "Euthanize" card, and of sick animals at lab request)
- Euthanasia on Lab's schedule: Tech time. (This includes euthanasia required by RAR and performed by RAR staff at the deadline, and euthanasia for study purposes)
- If the animals meet all criteria below, place a “Euthanize” card on the cage. RAR will euthanize by the next business day (M-F).
- Animals must be healthy and have food and water available
- No pups <21 days without the dam (litters with the dam in the cage are acceptable)
- No runted weanlings
- No animals with a Veterinary Health Record Card
- No overcrowded cages
- For animals that do not meet the above criteria, notify the area RAR veterinary technician or vet by phone or email. The “Euthanize” card may NOT be used.
- If requesting euthanasia for study purposes please contact RAR Technical Services and the area supervisor.
Large animals include dogs, cats, ruminants, pigs, and non-human primates.
Charges: Materials (euthanasia solution, catheter, etc.), carcass disposal, and time.
Process: Contact RAR Technical Services (firstname.lastname@example.org)