BSL-3 Research Laboratory Suites
BSL-3 Lab Manager:
A 2,900 square-feet, fully equipped BSL-3 research facility on the Minneapolis campus is available to scientists at the University of Minnesota (or their research partners) for studies involving BSL-3 agents and animal research.
This containment facility includes three stand-alone research suites; each consisting of a microbiology and small animal research laboratory, with secure access through a common ante-room. The BSL-3 Program operates the facility on a fee-for-use basis. All projects involving BSL-3 organisms need to be reviewed by the BSL-3 Advisory Committee and approved by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).
The microbiology laboratory is a fully equipped 200 square-foot research space, which may be used for cell culture and standard microbiology experiments. In addition to standard research equipment suitable for microbiological research (vortexers, water baths, etc.), each laboratory is equipped with:
This containment facility includes three stand-alone research suites; each consisting of a microbiology and small animal research laboratory, with secure access through a common ante-room.
- a 6-foot biological safety cabinet
- water-jacketed CO2 incubators
- bacteriological incubators and shakers
- -80-degree freezer
- -20-degree freezer and refrigerator
- a 24-place refrigerated microcentrifuge (Beckman)
- Allegra X-15 (Beckman) refrigerated tabletop centrifuge with safety enhanced rotor cups and adapters, and
- a Zeiss Axio Observer inverted fluorescence microscope equipped with a Peltier-cooled camera and imaging software
The small animal research laboratory consists of a 160 square-foot animal holding room and a 130 square-foot animal procedure room. The animal holding room is equipped with static and ventilated cage racks suitable for housing small animals. The animal procedure room is equipped with a vented biological safety cabinet suitable for animal surgery and other procedures for small animal research.
In addition to the research suites, this BSL-3 facility includes a shared instrument room. This space houses:
- a Zeiss Axio Scope, upright fluorescent microscope with DIC capability,
- two liquid nitrogen freezers
- a Sorvall RC-6 high-speed centrifuge with swing-out and fixed angle rotors
- an Optima L-90K (Beckman) ultra centrifuge with SW-32ti and 45-ti rotors
Researchers will be permitted to supply project-specific equipment in any of the lab spaces, provided the equipment can be successfully decontaminated before removal from the facility.
For more information regarding use of this facility please contact the BSL-3 Program Manager at 612-624-5479.